Intelligent Social Systems Lab
Research Focus of the Lab
Over the past years, the focus of the work of my lab has been the design of next-generation intelligent systems mainly based on computational and mathematical models of human behaviour and social dynamics.
More recently, I have been interested in designing autonomous artificial systems, possibly with humans in the loop. I am interested in both theoretical and systems-oriented aspects of these research areas.
I work at the interface of several disciplines including Ubiquitous Systems, Autonomous Systems, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Experimental Psychology and Computational Social Science.
In my lab, we investigate foundational aspects of these systems (e.g., mathematical/computational models and algorithmic issues), and we develop and build real-world prototypes based on them (e.g., applications, systems and tools).
As First Supervisor(*):
- Nicolas Anastassacos (second supervisor: Steve Hailes)
- Victor Darvariu (second supervisor: Steve Hailes)
- Beatrice Perez (second supervisor: Gianluca Stringhini)
- Mariflor Vega (second supervisor: Ioanna Manolopoulou)
As Second Supervisor(*):
- Adriano Bermudez-Villalva (first supervisor: Gianluca Stringhini)
- Robert Cinca (first supervisor: Enrico Costanza)
- Laura Convertino (first supervisor: Neil Burgess)
- Kehinde Owoeye (first supervisor: Steve Hailes)
(*) In the British system, a student is usually co-supervised by a first (primary) and a second (secondary) supervisor.
Graduated PhD Students
As First Supervisor:
- Theofania (Fani) Tsapeli Thesis Title: “Understanding Real-World Phenomena from Human-Generated Sensor Data”. University of Birmingham. November 2017. Now Data Scientist at Royal Bank of Scotland.
- Abhinav Mehrotra Thesis title: “A Framework for Intelligent Mobile Notifications”. University of Birmingham. February 2017. Now Machine Learning Engineer at Samsung AI.
- Antonio Lima Thesis title: “Digital Traces of Human Mobility and Interaction: Models and Applications”. University of Birmingham. June 2016. Now Senior Data Scientist at Vodafone.
As Second Supervisor:
- Christoph Stich Second supervisor to Emmanouil Tranos. Thesis title: “Human Mobility and Social Ties in Context: From Places to Personality”. University of Birmingham. September 2019.
Previous Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Abhinav Mehrotra (Postdoctoral Fellow in 2017-19 in the EPSRC-funded “UPRISE-IoT” project, now Research Engineer at Samsung AI).
- Benjamin Baron (Postdoctoral Fellow in 2017-18 in the EPSRC-funded “MACACO Project”, now Software Engineer at Algolia).
- Giovanni Quattrone (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2015 in the EPSRC-funded “MACACO Project”, now Lecturer at Middlesex University, United Kingdom).
- Matthew Williams (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2014-15 in the EU-funded “LASAGNE” Project, now AI Engineer at Cookpad and Research Fellow at the University of Exeter, United Kingdom).
- Luca Rossi (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2013-2015 in the EPSRC-funded “The Uncertainty of Identity” Project, now Assistant Professor at the Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China).
- Gillian Sandstrom (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2015 in the EPSRC-funded “Trajectories of Depression” Project, now Lecturer at the University of Essex, United Kingdom).
- Luca Canzian (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2014-15 in the EPSRC-funded “Trajectories of Depression” Project, now Radio Navigation Engineer at Quascom).
- Veljko Pejovic (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2012-2014 involved in the EPSRC-funded “UBhave” Project, now Assistant Professor at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia).
- Manlio De Domenico (Postdoctoral Research Associate in 2012-2013 involved in the EPSRC-funded “The Uncertainty of Identity” Project, now Research Group Leader at Bruno Kessler Foundation, Trento, Italy).
Previous Rotation PhD Students
As a part of the First Year Rotation of the Ecological Brain Doctoral Training Programme:
- Laura Convertino (now PhD student in the the Ecological Brain Doctoral Training Programme).
Previous Visitors and Interns
- Lorenzo Candeago (PhD student from the University of Trento, Italy, now back in Italy finishing his degree).
- Paolo Bellavista (Visiting Professor in Summer 2019 from the University of Bologna, Italy).
- Julian Garcia (Visiting Professor in Summer 2019 from Monash University, Australia).
- Francesca Naretto (Visiting Master Student in Winter 2018/Spring 2019 from the University of Pisa, Italy, now back in Italy finishing her degree).
- Valentine Santarelli (Visiting Master Student in Winter 2018/Spring 2019 from EPFL, Switzerland, now in industry).
- Paolo Bellagente (Visiting PhD Student in Summer 2017 from the University of Brescia, Italy. Now Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Brescia, Italy).
- Didem Gundogdu (Visiting PhD Student from the University of Trento in Summer/Autumn 2017, Italy. Now Data Scientist at Kantar Insights).
- Alessio Pagani (Visiting PhD Student in Summer 2017 from the Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Now Postdoctoral Research Associate at The Alan Turing Institute).
- Ella Peltonen (Visiting PhD Student in Summer-Autumn 2016 from the University of Helsinki, Finland, now Postdoctoral Research Associate at the University of Oulu).
- Christos Perentis (Visiting PhD Student from the University of Trento in Autumn-Winter 2015 from the University of Trento, now finishing his degree back in Italy).
- Cristina Segalin (Visiting PhD Student in Autumn-Winter 2014 from the University of Verona, now Group Leader at Disney Research, USA).
- Victor Darvariu (Research Intern in Summer 2014 and Summer 2018, now PhD student at UCL).
- James Klee (Undergraduate Summer Intern in Summer 2014, now finishing his degree in Computer Science at the University of Birmingham).
- Thiago Silva (Visiting PhD Student in Autumn 2013 from Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais - UFMG, Brazil, now Assistant Professor at the Federal University of Parana, Brazil).
- Demet Turan (Master Intern in Autumn 2013, now Software Research Engineer at Gent University).
- Paul Mougel (Visiting Student from INSA Lyon in Summer 2012, France, now CTO at 365Talents).
Joining and Collaborating with the Lab: Ph.D. Students and Postdoc Opportunities
Undergraduate Research Opportunities. If you are an Undergraduate student at UCL and you are interested in getting involved in our research activities, please get in touch. We are happy to offer internships during the summer and Final Year projects linked to our research activities.
PhD Students. I am looking for students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in my lab. If you are interested please contact me by email in order to discuss potential funding sources for your studies (such as available postgraduate studentships and other potential sources of Ph.D. funding).
Postdoctoral Researchers. I am also happy to discuss other opportunities for working in my group, including fellowships such as those offered through the Newton Fund, EU Skłodowska-Curie Actions or the Fulbright Scholar Program. I have funding for a 2-year Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in my lab. In general, I am happy to discuss potential opportunities in my lab (PhD students, Postdoctoral Fellows, interns or visitors).
Last updated: 31 October 2019.