I am Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science at University College London (UCL). I lead the Machine Intelligence Lab; we are part of the Autonomous Systems Research Group. I am also Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Bologna. More information about my bio, current and past appointments, etc can be found here.
I have a Postdoctoral Research Associate job opening in my lab. Closing date: 7 January 2024. Please feel free to contact me for an informal discussion if you are interested in applying.
New preprint “(Ir)rationality in AI: State of the Art, Research Challenges and Open Questions”. You can download the preprint here.
New preprint “Tree Search in DAG Space with Model-based Reinforcement Learning for Causal Discovery”. You can download the preprint here.
New preprint “Reinforcement Learning for Generative AI: State of the Art, Opportunities and Open Research Challenges”. You can download the preprint here.
New preprint “CoMIX: A Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning Training Architecture for Efficient Decentralized Coordination and Independent Decision Making”. You can download the preprint here.
New preprint “Augmented Modular Reinforcement Learning based on Heterogeneous Knowledge” discussing a novel learning modular architecture based on reinforcement learning for processing and integrating multiple types of information (knowledge). You can download the article here.
Our paper “Modeling Moral Choices in Social Dilemmas with Multi-Agent Reinforcement” has been accepted for publication in the main research track of the 32nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2023). You can download the preprint of the paper here.
New preprint “On the Creativity of Large Language Models” discussing the problem of machine creativity in relation to LLMs. You can download the article here.
Our paper “CT-DQN: Control-Tutored Deep Reinforcement Learning” has been accepted for publication at the Learning for Dynamics and Control Conference (L4DC 2023). You can download the pre-print version of the paper here. The camera ready version of the paper will appear soon.
I am currently involved in the following upcoming scientific events:
- 23rd International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2024) [Program Committee Member]
- 12th International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR 2024) [Program Committee Member]
- 6th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS 2024) [Program Committee Member]
- 38th Annual AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2024) [Program Committee Member]
- 37th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2023) [Program Committee Member]
- 4th ACM International Workshop on Distributed Machine Learning co-located with ACM CoNEXT 2023 [Program Committee Member]
Please consider submitting your work to and attending these conferences and workshops.
A list of past events I have been involved in can be found here.
I have broad research interests spanning several traditional and emerging areas of Computer Science and beyond. More specifically, current research areas of interest include:
- Machine Learning/Reinforcement Learning and their applications;
- Generative Artificial Intelligence (foundational models/large language models and their applications);
- Computational models (in particular, learning models) of human/user/machine behaviour;
- Machine Intelligence for ubiquitous, mobile, and cyber-physical systems.
I am interested in foundational problems in these areas and practical applications in a variety of fields, including autonomous systems, human-centered AI, digital health, networked systems and security&privacy.
More information about my research activities can be found here.
Last updated: 2 December 2023.