I am Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science at University College London (UCL). I lead the Machine Intelligence Lab; we are part of the Autonomous Systems Research Group. I am also Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Bologna. More information about my bio, current and past appointments, etc can be found here.
Our paper “Modeling Moral Choices in Social Dilemmas with Multi-Agent Reinforcement” has been accepted for publication in the main research track of the 32nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2023). You can download the preprint of the paper here.
New preprint “On the Creativity of Large Language Models” discussing the problem of machine creativity in relation to LLMs. You can download the article here.
Our paper “CT-DQN: Control-Tutored Deep Reinforcement Learning” has been accepted for publication at the Learning for Dynamics and Control Conference (L4DC 2023). You can download the pre-print version of the paper here. The camera ready version of the paper will appear soon.
Our paper “Planning Spatial Networks with Monte Carlo Tree Search” has been accepted for publication in Proceedings of the Royal Society A. You can download the paper here.
Our paper “RLQ: Workload Allocation with Reinforcement Learning in Distributed Queues” has been accepted for publications in IEEE Transactions in Parallel and Distributed Systems. You can download the paper here.
Our paper “Dynamic Network Reconfiguration for Entropy Maximization using Deep Reinforcement Learning” has been accepted at the Learning on Graphs Conference (LoG 2022). You can download the paper here.
The applications for the UCL Foundational Artificial Intelligence PhD program for the September 2023 intake are now open. You can find all the information here.
PhD Students. I am happy to discuss potential Ph.D. opportunities in my lab. I am looking for candidates with a good degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Maths/Statistics. Please feel free to contact me by email. Please include a brief description of your research interests and your curriculum vitae/transcripts in your message.
Postdoctoral Research Fellows. I am also happy to discuss opportunities for joining the lab as Postdoctoral Research Fellow. I will advertise a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in my lab in the coming weeks. Please contact me for an informal discussion if you are interested in applying.
I am currently involved in the following upcoming scientific events:
- 37th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2023) [Program Committee Member]
- 40th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2023) [Program Committee Member]
- 22nd International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2023) [Senior Program Committee Member]
- 25th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ACM ICMI 2023) [Senior Program Committee Member]
- NetMob 2023 [Program Committee Member]
- Fifth UK Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Systems Research Symposium (MobiUK 2023) [Organising Committee Member]
Please consider submitting your work to and attending these conferences.
A list of past events I have been involved in can be found here.
I have broad research interests spanning several traditional and emerging areas of Computer Science and beyond. More specifically, current research areas of interest include:
- Machine Learning/Reinforcement Learning;
- Computational models (in particular, learning models) of human/user/machine behaviour;
- Machine Intelligence for ubiquitous, mobile, and cyber-physical systems;
- Generative Artificial Intelligence.
I am interested in foundational problems in these areas and practical applications in a variety of fields, including autonomous systems, human-centered AI, digital health, networked systems and security&privacy.
More information about my research activities can be found here.
Last updated: 15 May 2023.