I am Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science at University College London (UCL). I am a Turing Fellow at the Alan Turing Institute, the UK National Institute for Data Science and Artificial Intelligence. I am the Turing University Lead for UCL, i.e., I coordinate and support the research activities involving UCL and the Turing. I am also Professor of Computer Science at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Bologna. I lead the Intelligent Social Systems Lab. We are part of the Autonomous Systems Research Group at UCL.
More information about my bio, current and past appointments, etc can be found here.
Our paper Goal-directed graph construction using reinforcement learning has been accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the Royal Society A.
Our paper Solving Graph-based Public Good Games with Tree Search and Imitation Learning has been accepted for publication at NeurIPS 2021.
We received the 2020 ACM UbiComp 10-Year Impact Award for our paper “EmotionSense: A Mobile Phones based Adaptive Platform for Experimental Social Psychology Research”.
I got interviewed for a Q&A article on causality in digital medicine in Nature Communications.
Past news can be found here.
I am very happy to discuss potential Ph.D. opportunities in my lab. Please feel free to contact me by email, including a brief description of your research interests and your CV in your message. Please also do not hesitate to contact me to discuss potential postdoctoral fellowships and research visits in our lab. I am also happy to discuss summer internships for Undergraduate students.
I am currently involved in the following upcoming scientific events:
- 39th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2022) [Program Committee Member]
- 25th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS 2022) [Program Committee Member]
- 10th International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR 2022) [Program Committee Member]
- 36th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2022) [Senior Program Committee Member]
- 27th ACM Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (ACM IUI 2022) [Program Committee Member]
Please consider submitting your work to and attending these conferences and workshops.
A list of past events I have been involved in can be found here.
I have broad research interests spanning several traditional areas of Computer Science and beyond. In the recent years, my lab has been focusing on Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence and their applications to a variety of theoretical and practical problems and domains, e.g., networked systems, ubiquitous/cyber-physical systems, human-centered AI, digital health and security&privacy. More specifically, current research topics include:
- (Multi-Agent) Reinforcement Learning and its applications;
- Computational models (in particular, learning models) of human/user behaviour as a basis for the design of algorithms and systems;
- Modelling and analysis of social systems (human, artificial and hybrid);
- Machine intelligence for ubiquitous computing, cyber-physical systems and the Internet of Things;
- Generative learning and machine creativity.
Last updated: 16 January 2022.